Sunday, February 17, 2008

Harold Hunter: Two years Gone, Not Forgotten.



When we met, Harold was a 16 years old Skater who lived with a relative three blocks from my East Village apartment. Over the years we had many little urban, nightlife adventures together. He put a lot of trust in me and I feel that as a friend I proved worthy of his trust. We drifted in different directions a bit later on but frequently crossed paths on the lower east side. Strangely, one of my last nights in New York City, I ran into Harold and then later, his Kids co-star, Chloe Sevigny about 20 minutes later.

When I left New York City I knew he wasn’t in a good place but I always held out hope for him. When a mutual friend hit me on myspace and told me of his sudden death in ‘06, I was stunned. The scene stealer from Kids did a lot, seen a lot and traveled coast-to-coast in his short life. He inspired thousands of young skateboarders, had a clothing line, a skateboards line and fans around the globe. His viewing lasted 5 days. He was loved that much. Two years gone but not forgotten, rest in peace Harold.

No comments: