Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ANNA TSUCHIYA Featuring AI "Crazy World" (PV).




Over the last few days I've read a surprising amount of negative feedback to this track, the second big-star J-pop collaboration to be released in as many weeks. Tsuchiya Anna, the half-Japanese, half-Russian pop rocker is well-known for her alternative rock sound and striking avant garde visual style delivers the type of track and video her fans have come to love and expect from her. At least in my opinion.

I do consider myself to be one of her fans and I think the song is very consistent with her last two releases, Cocoon & Bubble Trip. Although those tracks are not as hard as the releases that preceded them, Crazy World represents, as I am fond of saying, a natural progression for this updated version of musical chameleon. More and more she is reminding me of Gwen Stefani & Christina Aquilera, two American artists who also frequently tweak their images and sounds. The Aquilera connection is further underscored by when Anna and Ai engage in an Aquilera/Madonna-like lip lock at the end of the Crazy World PV.

No comments: