Friday, April 18, 2008

OYE! John Varvatos' Bowery Store.


Now admittedly, I haven't set foot in New York City since I left there 5 years ago, So I have no idea how long it's actually been open, but the other day, while I was getting my weekly fashion lesson from the Jedi Master of Fashion bloggers, Fashion Sensi, this caught my eye. I had heard about the legal battle being waged by thew owners of the legendary punk nightclub, CBGB's to keep their venue. The landlord wanted them out move in tenants that were more in line with the gentrified Bowery developers had envisioned.

I had heard last year they lost their court battle and were given the heave-ho, sadly. What I didn't know until Fashion Sensei posted this bit of information was that John Varvatos open a boutique at the historic address. Flashback: in 1994, while I was a hotshot New York nightlife promotor, my office was around the corner from CB's on King St. between 3rd & Bowery. Never in my life could I have imagined the punk rockers, winos and homeless of Bowery would give way to fashionistas.

I'm sure the two flop houses, heroin spot and bodega that smelled like cat litter which used to be next door are all gone as well. I have a feeling that would be something of an uneasy mix. In any case, as I have said time and time again, if you want a lesson on what's cool in the fashion world check out Fashion Sensei. While you're there you can read more on the Varvatos shop, it's worth a read and I don't want to spoil the reading experience.

Fashion Sensei.


No comments: