Friday, March 21, 2008

Soundbytes: New Music I got This Week.

Well, if you couldn’t tell spring was right around the corner just by sticking your head out your door, all you had to do was check out your favorite music retailer. There, you could not help but notice all the new releases that hit last Tuesday. When musicians start dropping releases like there was no tomorrow, it’s either spring or Christmas.

No way in heck am I going to do a write up on all of them, I got exams and research projects up to my eyeballs. That said, I’ll leave my favorite cuts off of each CD I got during my last foray through iTunes, with the exception of one, Gnarls Barkley’s The Odd Couple, which is so good, I think I’ll pull it from the pack. Without further ado, here’s what’s bumping on my computer during study breaks this week:


A really solid dance music release can be yours with Groove Armada’s SoundBoy Rock, but this track, Feel The Same, a bonus cut with vocals by Angie Stone, goes the extra yards and is just all sorts of exceptional. It’s house music just the way I like it; deep, lush, sexy and incredibly soulful. Grab your boo and bust out those sexy gyration dance moves you’ve been practicing all winter on the nearest dance floor.



____

Although, by no means bad, Flo Rida’s CD does nothing for me personally, but I’m sure the MTV/106 & Park set will lose their ish over it. All the dance tracks sound like Low and Elevator and then there’s the obligatory gangster tracks with guest spots from the usual suspects; Lil Wayne and Yung Joc. This track, All My Life, however, is not as run of the mill as the other cuts and it’s got a nice, slightly old school bounce to it.



____

Although I am a fan of electro, I only recently heard of Crystal Castles. This is more my speed; creative, unique, diverse and danceable. Absolutely a good buy, if you are into electronic music. These two tracks are Through The Hosiery and Crimewave, respectively.



____

I wouldn’t describe Welcome To The Dollhouse from Danity Kane as something, anyone couldn’t live without, but for what it is, commercial, youth-oriented pop, it’s not bad at all. It’s well produced and, in spots, very well written. Overall, it’s a decent sophomore effort demonstrating respectable growth from their debut. Besides the single, this track, called Strip Tease, is pretty hot.



____

The Kills‘ CD, Midnight Boom, is straight fire. Period. An incredible CD as fully demonstrated by this chunky, bumping bonus track, Night Train.




No comments: