Thursday, March 27, 2008

青山テルマ "Diary".


I've been locked into my textbooks this past week. I've had to keep my eyes firmly fixed on my books because I've essentially had to run a gauntlet at school the last few days. four exams, two papers, two research projects over a ten day period. Not a personal highlight.

What has been a personal highlight, or is at least shaping up to be one, is listening to Thelma Aoyama's brand spanking new debut CD, Diary. I've been waiting for it to arrive in the mail courtesy of amazon Japan, since I pre-ordered it two weeks ago. It was well worth the wait. The 21 year old singer is blessed a truly beautiful voice and, looking at the credits on the CD, some fair skills as a lyricist. I absolutely love her first two singles, そばにいるね and My Dear Friend, both of which are very well written and pack an emotional punch without being over the top.

あなたに会えてよかった, a cover of the 小泉今日子 classic, is another standout as are the cuts, リズム, Good Time Remix featuring Miku from Ya-Kyim and Higher. The solid vocals and lyrics and complemented by excellent instrumentation and tight productions. However, if there's one complaint about this CD, it's that, perhaps, it 's got one ballad too many. That aside, I give her props, but you can hear Ms. Aoyama's soulful Diary and decide that for yourself. Check out the tracks below and perhaps you'll also fall in love with the rising J-Urban starlet.


No comments: